Friday, July 14, 2006

Nepalese Guests

This blog is about all the people I host (via HC/CS or otherwise) too. On Wednesday I had my first guests since starting this blog. They were a couple from Nepal.

Dileep and his wife, Beena, are both in their late 20s-early 30s and a both computer professionals. Their ancestors hailed from Rajasthan in India, but they are settled in Nepal since a few generations (four in Dileep's case).
Dileep's father is a Biochemist and currently a professor of Biochemistry in Katmandu. As in the case of many scientists, Dileep's father moved around during his early career, and consequently as a child Dileep lived in quite a few countries including the US and Germany. He has studied in the US too, and his accent has a slight American touch. He speaks fluent Nepali, Hindi (probably his Rajasthani dialect too) and English.
Beena is originally from near the Indo-Nepal, but she studied in Rajasthan for 13 years, so her Nepali is apparently a bit hesitating and has an accent.
They have been married for a year and a half and wanted to travel a bit before having children. They were touring Europe and had already been to the Netherlands, Paris, Belgium, Italy, Munich and now Vienna. From here they visit the Czech Republic, Berlin and back.

They are a very friendly and open-minded couple and this was their first experience of Couchsurfing. In fact this will be their only one during their trip, although they stayed with European friends at a few places (like in Munich).

We had dinner at my place on the first evening, and last night they invited me for dinner at a Nepalese-Indian restaurant down the road. They left early in the morning today.
It was really nice hosting them, and I wish they had stayed longer.

***
I am also doubly glad that because of them I was forced to clean up my flat-- it was in a terrible mess and with my procrastination, I had not got around to cleaning it since quite a long time. My bedroom still needs to be organized, my walk-in wardrobe is still in a bit of a mess and the bookshelves need to be tidied, but all that is rather easily done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home